Jeff Zuckerman author of “Unglued: A Bipolar Love Story
COOK COUNTY, MINNESOTA ~~~~~~ May 6, 2021 (LSN) Cook County Public Health & Human Services recently announced a virtual event with Jeff Zuckerman, author of “Unglued: A Bipolar Love Story,” in recognition of Mental Health Awareness Month.
This free event, titled “Sharing a Lived Experience of Resiliency and Hope,” will include readings from Zuckerman’s book — a candid, funny, and refreshingly irreverent portrayal of the role a spouse takes in loving a partner with a mental illness. Intimate and ultimately hopeful, Zuckerman’s story chronicles the power of compassion, faith and resilience in the survival of a marriage and a caregiver's own well-being.
“We invited Jeff to speak because of his open and honest approach to discussing mental health struggles — the difficulties of those experiencing mental health symptoms and those that support them on the journey to recovery,” said Grace Bushard, Cook County Children and Family Services Supervisor. “His work to destigmatize mental illness is important for all of us to hear.”
- What: Mental Health Awareness Month: Sharing a Lived Experience of Resiliency and Hope
- When: 6-7:30 p.m., May 19
- Where: Virtual via Zoom
- Who: Jeff Zuckerman, author and presenter
- Cost: Free
To register for the event, go to the Cook County Higher Education website or click here.
This event is offered in partnership with:
- Cook County Higher Education
- Cook County Wellness Committee
- Grand Marais Public Library
- Grand Portage Human Services
- Grand Portage Health Services
- North Shore Health
- North Shore Health Care Foundation
- Sawtooth Mountain Clinic
- Violence Prevention Center
The Grand Marais Public Library has organized a collection of books, including Zuckerman’s, related to mental health that is now available. In addition to the May 19 event, Cook County Public Health & Human Services and partners are sharing a list of mental health resources:
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255.
- Crisis Text Line: Text “MN” to 741741.
- Regional Mental Health Crisis Line: 844-772-4724
- Minnesota Warm Line Peer Support Connection: 844-739-6369 (5 p.m. – 9 a.m.).
- The NAMI HelpLine: 1-800-950-NAMI (6264) Monday through Friday (9 a.m. – 7 p.m.)
- National Parent Helpline: 855-427-2736, operated by Parents Anonymous.
- The Trevor Project LGBTQ Crisis Line: 1-866-488-7386
- SAMHSA National Helpline (mental health and substance use treatment referral): 1-800-662-HELP (4357)
- Cook County PHHS: 218-387-3620 Monday-Friday (8 a.m. – 4 p.m.)
- Sawtooth Mountain Clinic: 218-387-2330 Monday – Friday (8 a.m. – 5 p.m.)
About Jeff Zuckerman:
Zuckerman is a freelance editor and writer living in Minneapolis. He was an award-winning newspaper reporter, editor and university writing instructor, and for many years he directed the writing center at Walden University. Jeff was a reviewer of the seventh edition of the APA style manual and, over the past quarter century, he has read and edited more than 1,500 dissertations in the social and behavioral sciences. In an earlier career he was a social worker with migrant farmworkers and a community organizer. For more on Zuckerman, visit https://www.jeffzuckerman.com/
#LSN_CookCounty #LSN_Health #LSN_MNNews