Algoma Public Health and Algoma Ontario Health Team
SAULT STE MAIRE, ONTARIO ~~~~~~ March 10, 2021 (LSN) Algoma Public Health (APH) and Algoma Ontario Health Team (AOHT) are pleased to announce that appointments will soon be available for the COVID-19 Community Vaccine Hub being held at the GFL Memorial Gardens on March 13 – 16, 2021.
Starting Thursday March 11, 2021 at 1:00 pm, the following groups are welcome to book an appointment for their COVID-19 vaccination:
* Adults 80 years and older - born in 1941 or earlier
* All Indigenous adults ages 55 and older (First Nations, Metis, Inuit) (born in 1966 or earlier)
* Staff and essential caregivers in retirement homes
* Highest priority healthcare workers (following the Ministry of Health’s guidance on Health Care Worker Prioritization<http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/pro/programs/publichealth/coronavirus/docs/Guidance_for_Prioritizing_HCW_covid19_vaccination_2020-01-08.pdf>)
Due to a high demand for vaccine, the phone lines will be busy and appointments will fill quickly. Please do not call or book an appointment unless you are eligible under the listed category. If you have booked an appointment and you are not on the eligibility list, you will be turned away when you arrive at the vaccination site. You may be required to show proof of eligibility. More details regarding eligible groups are available here<http://www.algomapublichealth.com/disease-and-illness/infectious-diseases/novel-coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine/vaccine-clinics-in-algoma/#eligible>.
People with booked appointments may bring one support person with them to the clinic. Only people with booked appointments will be immunized.
Blocks of appointments are based on vaccine supply. If you do not get an appointment for these upcoming clinics, don’t panic. More appointments will be made available for bookings in the near future.
* To book an appointment online, please visit this link<http://www.algomapublichealth.com/disease-and-illness/infectious-diseases/novel-coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine/vaccine-clinics-in-algoma/#clinics> and click on ‘make appointment online’ under Sault Ste. Marie – GLF Memorial Gardens tab. The link will go live at 1:00 pm on Thursday March 11, 2021.
* To book an appointment by phone, call 705-541-2332 or Toll Free 1-800-469-2449. Phone lines will be open on Thursday March 11 from 1:00 – 6:00 pm and on Friday March 12 from 10 am – 4 pm.
Please do not visit our office to try and make an appointment in person. Appointments are only made online or over the phone.
Vaccine clinics are also being held throughout the district and can be found on APH’s website<http://www.algomapublichealth.com/disease-and-illness/infectious-diseases/novel-coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine/vaccine-clinics-in-algoma/>.
Urban Indigenous people aged 55 and over can access the COVID-19 Community Vaccine Hub at GFL Memorial Gardens or at clinics being held by the Sault Ste. Marie Indian Friendship Centre and Maamwesying North Shore Community Health Services. To be placed on the IFC’s COVID-19 vaccination list, please call 705-256-5634.
Until the vaccine is widely available, we still need to reduce the spread of the COVID-19 in our region:
* Stay home as much as possible, and avoid gatherings, visiting or having close contact with people you don’t live with.
* Anyone who is ill, even with mild symptoms, must stay home and self-isolate away from others.
* Avoid all non-essential travel
* Wear a mask as required in indoor public spaces and outside when physical distancing cannot be maintained.