Monkeypox an issue in Thunder Bay and NWO
Pets should be excluded from the ill person’s environment
THUNDER BAY, ONTARIO ~~~~~ July 26, 2022 (LSNews) Cases of monkeypox have been seen in Ontario, Quebec, Alberta and British Columbia.
Ontario has made monkeypox a reportable disease and positive test results are sent to the local public health unit. This will support public health officials with case and contact management. Ontario is currently providing the Imvamune® vaccine as part of a targeted effort to contain onwards transmission of monkeypox.
The Thunder Bay Health Unit has been silent on Monkeypox but President Jason Veltri, of Rainbow Collective called on Thunder Bay District Medical Officer of Health Dr. Janet DeMille to take an active role in supporting the 2SLGBTQIA+ communities in TBDHU's catchment area to ensure the virus doesn't make its way to this area reported TBNewsWatch
Veltri said Rainbow Collective is ready to work with TBDHU to ensure high-risk individuals have equitable access to the vaccine.
Droplets from the sores
- if you touch a Monkeypox sore and then touch a counter or package in a store you can pass Monkeypox on to someone else
Monkeypox Self-Isolation (TBDHU)
- Frequent hand hygiene for both the person isolating and household members/ caregivers, including after touching lesion material, removing gloves, clothing, linens, or environmental surfaces that may have had contact with lesion material
- Optimizing indoor air quality (e.g., open windows where possible when in a shared indoor space)
- Unexposed persons who do not have an essential need to be in the home should not visit
- Household members who are not ill should limit contact with the person with monkeypox
- Pets should be excluded from the ill person’s environment Persons with monkeypox should avoid contact with wild or domestic mammals if possible
- Do not share dishes or utensils when eating; however, can use same dishes/ utensils if properly washed between use in a dishwasher or with warm water and soap.
- Clean and disinfect contaminate surfaces (e.g., bathroom, if shared, after use by the person isolating); standard household cleaning/disinfectants can be used in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions
Read earlier story
Monkeypox outbreak a global health emergency by the World Health Organization.
#LSN_Health #LSN_TBay #LSN_NorWest
Below Please Rate and Share this story
To help us learn what is important to you