You Tube Lake Superior News   Twitter Lake Superior New  Face Book Lake Superior News  Lake Superior Circle Tour Calendar
Lake Superior News
Lake Superor Regional News

Boaters not landing, anchoring, mooring or exchanging people/goods no longer need to report to CBSA

CBSA  New Boater Requirements  Lake Superior News
#LSN_Outdoors      New Private Boaters Reguirements 

HUNDER BAY, ONTARIO  --  Septembert  2, 2017   (LSN)  The reporting requirements for private boaters have changed. You no longer need to report to the CBSA if you meet the reporting exemptions detailed below.

Travellers - Reporting requirements for private boaters

Reporting Exemptions

If you are visiting Canada, you are not required to report to the CBSA if you:

  • do not land on Canadian soil and do not anchor, moor or make contact with another conveyance while in Canadian waters, and
  • do not embark or disembark people or goods in Canada.

If you are returning to Canada, you are not required to report to the CBSA if you:

  • did not land outside Canada and did not anchor, moor or make contact with another conveyance while outside of Canadian waters, and
  • did not embark or disembark any people or goods while outside Canada.

Pre-registration of travel information

To help ensure minimal wait times for private boat owners/operators reporting their entry into Canada using the CBSA TRC, we recommend that you pre-register your personal and travel document information in advance. You must provide the following information for each individual on the boat:

  • Full legal name
  • Date of birth
  • Travel document number, type and expiry date

You can e-mail your information to TRC_PreRegistration_InscriptionPré The CBSA will enter your information into our system within 24 hours of receipt. You must still use the regular reporting methods to report your entry.

Whether you chose to pre-register or not, be sure to always have your travel documents on hand when you call the TRC to report entry into Canada. This will assist the CBSA in facilitating your entry into Canada as quickly as possible.

Making your report

When you contact the TRC, you will be asked about your trip, passengers, and whether you have any goods to declare. As the owner/operator of the boat, only you can report to the TRC. You must collect the information from each passenger onboard and provide it to the TRC.

Travellers - Reporting requirements for private boaters



Your CBSA report number and secondary inspection

A CBSA officer at the TRC will determine whether further verification or examination is needed. If you do not need further verification, the officer will provide you with a report number. If a secondary inspection is necessary, the officer will advise you to remain at the TRS/M, or go to one if you are reporting from the water, and to ensure that all goods and passengers remain onboard. The CBSA officer who conducts the secondary inspection will provide you with the report number.

Failure to report

Canadian law enforcement authorities patrol Canada's coasts and inland waterways and have the authority to stop any boat that has recently entered Canadian waters. Failure to report to the CBSA may result in detention, seizure or forfeiture of your boat and/or monetary penalties. The minimum fine for failing to report to the CBSA upon entry to Canada is Can$1,000.


Travellers - Reporting requirements for private boaters

All passengers must declare any goods being brought into Canada, as well as currency or monetary instruments totaling Can$10,000 or more. Restricted goods include, but are not limited to, firearms and weapons; food, plants, animals and related products; explosives, fireworks and ammunition. For information on what you can bring into Canada, visit the Bring Goods Across the Border page.

Declarations for all passengers