THUNDER BAY, ON ---- September , 2010 – City of Thunder Bay Recreation & Culture Division staff announced today the details of Riverfest, scheduled for the afternoon of Saturday, Sept. 11 at Kam River Heritage Park. The event begins at 12 pm with entertainment and activities for the entire family.
“This year, Riverfest will really focus on the history and beauty of the Kam River Heritage Park,” said Melissa Wnuk, Festival & Events Coordinator. “We are also very excited to be hosting our 2nd Annual Kam River Reel In Derby”.
The Kam River boardwalk will play host to a variety of local musical talent including Dave Campbell, Tracy K, Suitcase Stanley, Wayne Faulconer, and Shaken Not Stirred. Music runs from 12 pm -5 pm.
The Reel In Derby is supported by the Ministry of Natural Resources, and the Ontario Federation of Anglers & Hunters. Fishing rods and lures will be available for participants. Bait will be provided by Sleeping Giant Taxidermy and Wiggley Baits. All children 13 and under are welcome to participate for their chance to win prizes for the longest fish, and the most fish caught. Trophies will be provided by Kim’s Engraving.
- "Ribberfest" BBQ Rib Cook-Off
- 8 am to 4 pm - on Simpson St. (outside)
- Amateur and Pro Categories - who will have Thunder Bay's Best Ribs?
- Prizes include a Lil' Tex Traeger BBQ
- Thank you to sponsors Traeger Canada, Dougall Media, TBayTel, The Chronicle-Journal and Canada Safeway
- Kam River Reel In Youth Fishing Derby II
- 12 pm to 4 pm - at the Kam River Heritage Park
- Ages 13 & under (must be accompanied by an adult)
- To Register call 684-2674 - No cost to enter
- Supported by: Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters & The Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources
- Tours of the historic James Whalen Tug Boat
- Exploration of a 1960's era Via Rail Train
- Live entertainment
- Face painting and crafts for the kids
- Concessions on site
- Tours for the following attractions occur all day (noon to 5 pm):
- James Whalen Tug
- Via Rail Train
- Thunder Bay Tug Services tug 'The Glenada'
- Canadian Coast Guard Cutter
For more information, call (807) 684-2674, or visit www.thunderbay.ca/riverfest