July 7, 2013 – Several major projects are under way on Thunder Bay’s roads, and smaller public works projects are slated to begin shortly. Projects include road and sidewalk rehabilitation, residential paving and sewer and watermain repair/replacement/lining, along with bridge work and streetlight renewal.
Photo of reconstruction of Cameron Street Bridge over Neebing River. Expected to be reopened in November.
The City is investing $32 million on roads, bridges, sidewalks, streetlights, sewers, watermains and related infrastructure. City Council has approved an Enhanced Infrastructure Renewal Program of an additional $4 million to the Roads’ Capital Budget in 2013. Other projects are funded by the City’s Capital Budget and some receive additional funding through the Federal Gas Tax Program.
Road work often results in road closures, detours and delays for drivers. Drivers should reduce speed, be alert and watch for workers in construction zones.
Temporary Street Closures in Effect:
· Thursday, July 4 at 6 am to Monday, July 8 at 6 pm, Bobby Curtola Drive from Marina Park Overpass to Prince Arthur’s Landing and Saul Laskin Drive from Bobby Curtola Drive to Bobby Curtola Drive, for the Thunder Bay Blues Festival.
· Tuesday, July 9 from 9 am to 3:30 pm, Brunswick Avenue from Arthur Street to McGregor Avenue, for the Teddy Bears Picnic.
· Every Wednesday from July 10 to August 14 from 4 pm to 9:30 pm, Sleeping Giant Parkway from Pearl Street to Saul Laskin Drive, Saul Laskin Drive from Bobby Curtola Drive to Bobby Curtola Drive, and Bobby Curtola Drive from Saul Laskin Drive to Marina Park Overpass, for the Summer in the Parks Concert Series.
· Friday, July 19 from 4 pm to 9 pm, and Saturday, July 20 from 7 am to 5 pm, West Lyon Blvd. from Algoma Street to Arundel Street, Algoma Street from MacDougall Street to Gibson Street, and Gibson Street from Algoma Street to Court Street North, for the Thunder Bay Dragonboat Festival.
· Saturday, July 27 from 7:30 am to 9:30 pm, and Sunday, July 28 from 10 am to 8 pm, Bay Street from Algoma Street South to Secord Street, for the Valley Fresh Buskers Festival.
· Sunday, July 28 from 8 am to 12 noon, full closures of Lyon Blvd. West from Algoma Street North to Arundel Street, and Gibson Avenue from Cumberland Street to Algoma Street; and partial closures of Lyon Blvd. East from Rita Street to Arundel Street, Arundel Street from Lyon Blvd. West to Hodder Avenue, and Hodder/Cumberland Street from Arundel Street to Gibson Street; for the Thunder Bay Triathlon.
Road Work Ahead:
The following are areas scheduled for road and other major infrastructure work expected to affect traffic from Thuesday, July 4 to Thursday, Aug. 1.
Sewer & Watermain Work
· Storm sewer installation on Beresford and Winnipeg Avenue will result in periodic road closures. Please follow construction signage.
· Cast iron watermains will be cleaned and lined in the area bound by Arthur Street to the North, Syndicate Avenue to the East, Walsh Street to the South and Franklin Street to the West. Watch for construction signage.
· Watermain and storm sewer replacement as well as street resurfacing work will take place on Waterloo Street from Arthur Street to Walsh Street.
· Van Horne Street between Court Street and Algoma Street will be shut down for sewer/watermain replacement.
· Beverly Street from Winnipeg Avenue to Balmoral Street will be closed for sewer/watermain work and pavement rehabilitation.
· Toledo Street from Chamberlain Street to Huron Avenue will be closed for watermain work.
· Work on the Cameron Street Bridge has begun and is expected to last throughout the construction season. Cameron Street is closed to through traffic for the duration.
Road, Street Lighting & Sidewalk Improvements
· Stage I of the Golf Links/Junot Corridor road construction has started between Oliver Road and Harbour Expressway. Follow posted detour.
- There will be local access to businesses from Oliver Road and to Ridgecrest Road from the north project limit.
- The south access from Golf Links Road to the Harbour Expressway is now open to traffic.
· Franklin Street between Arthur Street and Victoria Avenue is scheduled for road reconstruction. Local access only. Some driveway disruption is possible.
· Road resurfacing is scheduled for Onion Lake Road, Broadway Avenue, McPherson Street and Main Street. Watch for lane closures as the work proceeds.
Road resurfacing of Cumberland Street from Stephens Street to Marina Park Overpass will continue. Watch for lane closures and possible road closures of side streets accessing Cumberland Street as the work proceeds.
Carl Avenue is scheduled for minor drainage improvements and road resurfacing. Local traffic only and possible block-to-block road closures as the work proceeds.
· Residential paving is slated for 20th Sideroad, Rosedale Avenue, Ruttan Street, Kenogami Avenue, Carrie Street, Tupper Street and Madeline Street.
· Hinton Avenue between McComber Crescent and Whalen Street is scheduled for road reconstruction. Local access only. Some driveway disruption is possible.
· Sidewalk replacement work on the following streets: Crescent Avenue, East End Subway Ramp, West Francis Street, Arthur Street, Marks Street, Walsh Street and St. James Street. Sidewalks may be closed during construction. Interruptions to driveway access.
· Final paving and sidewalk work is expected to proceed on the perimeter streets surrounding the new Consolidated Courthouse in the South core. There will be block-to-block closures to traffic and parking as the work continues.
· Please note that businesses in the areas of the construction zones around Victoria Avenue and the Waterfront district BIAs are open for business as work proceeds.
The above list includes major, traffic-affecting construction only. Work, including sidewalk replacements and curb and gutter repairs, is scheduled for residential areas and other areas around the City. The schedule is subject to change.