THUNDER BAY, ON / AROLAND FIRST NATION --- Aug 15, 2015 --- Nishnawbe Aski Nation (NAN) Grand Chief Alvin Fiddler, on behalf of the NAN Executive Council, congratulates the recipients of the 2015 Keewaywin Awards for their outstanding achievements and contributions to Nishnawbe Aski Nation.
“On behalf of the 49 Chiefs and Councils of Nishnawbe Aski Nation it is my honour to congratulate all of this year’s award recipients for their commitment to strengthening their communities and improving the lives of the people of Nishnawbe Aski,” said Grand Chief Alvin Fiddler. “The dedication, leadership and compassion of these outstanding individuals has made a tremendous impact on the lives of our people and their accomplishments are an inspiration to us all.”
The recipients were honoured at a banquet Wednesday evening during the XXXIV Keewaywin Conference, held August 11-13 in Aroland First Nation. Award recipients include:
- NAN Elder Recognition Award - Sam Achneepineskum, Marten Falls First Nation
- Emile Nakogee Award for Outstanding Leadership - Ernest Beck, Moose Cree First Nation
- NAN Woman Award - Maggie Sofea, Nibinamik First Nation
- NAN Youth Academic Award - Chris Winnepetonga, Wunnumin Lake First Nation
- NAN Youth Leadership Award - Joey Kakegamic, North Spirit Lake First Nation
- NAN Youth Cultural Award - Autumn Longpeter-Esquega, Long Lake #58
- NAN Youth Athletic Award - Skyler Meshake, Lac Seul First Nation
- NAN Staff Recognition Award - Jeff Nelson, Wabigoon First Nation
Chief Sonny Gagnon accepted the Host Community Award on behalf of Aroland First Nation.