THUNDERBAY, ON ---- June 10, 2013 – A busy construction season is taking place in Thunder Bay. Several major projects are under way, and smaller public works projects are slated to begin shortly. Projects include road and sidewalk rehabilitation, residential paving, sewer and watermain repair, replacement and lining, along with bridge work and streetlight renewal.
Road work often results in road closures, detours and delays for drivers. Drivers should reduce speed, be alert and watch for workers in construction zones.
Temporary street closures will be in effect:
· Sunday, June 12, from 9 am to 2 pm, South Archibald Street from Donald Street to 208 S. Archibald St. will be closed for the St. Patrick’s Cathedral Parish Picnic.
· Thursday, June 13, from 1:40 to 2:15 pm, west lane of Madeline Street from Grandview Arena to River Street, and north curb of River Street from Madeline Street to the Thunder Bay 55+ Centre at 600 River Street will be closed for the Seniors Rock Walk.
· Saturday, June 15, from 8 am to 5 pm, Queen Street from Fort William Road to Memorial Avenue, and Fort William Road south of Queen Street to dead end (north) will be closed for the Annual Car Show.
· Saturday, June 15, from 7 am to 7 pm, Bobby Curtola Drive from Marina Park overpass to parking lot, and Saul Laskin Drive from Bobby Curtola Drive (entire street), will be closed for Thunder Pride – Pride in the Park.
· Saturday, June 15, from 12 noon to 1 pm, Algoma Street from Waverley Street to Red River Road, Waverley Street from Secord Street to Red River Road, Red River Road from Waverley Street to Water Street, Water Street from Red River Road to Camelot Street will be closed for Thunder Pride – Pride Parade. Parade will use path over railway crossing into Marina Park.
· Sunday, June 16, from 12 noon to 1 pm, Hilldale Road from 321 Wardrope Avenue (Hilldale Lutheran Church) to 123 Hilldale Road (St. Anthony’s Church) will be closed for the Feast of the Holy Spirit Procession.
· Thursday, June 20, from 8 am to 9 pm, and Friday, June 21, from 9 am to 10 pm, Bobby Curtola Drive from Camelot Street entrance to Marina Park Overpass, and Saul Laskin Drive fromn Marina Park Overpass to Bobby Curtola Drive will be closed for National Aboriginal Day.
· Monday, July 1, from 12:01 am to 8 pm, Park Avenue from Court Street to Cumberland Street will be closed for Cruiser Day.
· Thursday, July 4, at 6 am to Monday, July 8, at 6 pm, Bobby Curtola Drive from Marina Park Overpass to Prince Arthur’s Landing, and Saul Laskin Drive from Bobby Curtola Drive to Bobby Curtola Drive will be closed for the Thunder Bay Blues Festival.
The following are areas scheduled for road and other major infrastructure work expected to affect traffic from June 6 to July 4.
Sewer & Watermain Work
· Watermain and storm sewer replacement as well as street resurfacing work will take place on Waterloo Street from Arthur Street to Walsh Street.
· Van Horne Street between Court Street and Algoma Street will be shut down for sewer/watermain replacement.
· Beverly Street from Winnipeg Avenue to Balmoral Street will be closed for sewer/watermain work and pavement rehabilitation.
· Toledo Street from Chamberlain Street to Huron Avenue will be closed for watermain work.
· Work on the Cameron Street Bridge has begun and is expected to last throughout the construction season. Cameron Street is closed to through traffic for the duration.
Road, Street Lighting & Sidewalk Improvements
· Stage I of the Golf Links/Junot Corridor road construction has started between Oliver Road and Harbour Expressway. There will be no through traffic between William Street and Central Avenue. Follow posted detour.
- There will be local access to businesses from Oliver Road and to Ridgecrest Road from the north project limit.
- The south access from Golf Links Road to the Harbour Expressway will reopen to limited traffic by mid-June.
· Road resurfacing is scheduled for Onion Lake Road, Broadway Avenue and Neebing Avenue. Watch for lane closures as the work proceeds.
Road resurfacing of Cumberland Street from Stephens Street to Marina Park Overpass will continue. Watch for lane closures and possible road closures of side streets accessing Cumberland Street as the work proceeds.
Carl Avenue is scheduled for minor drainage improvements and road resurfacing. Local traffic only and possible block-to-block road closures as the work proceeds.
· Residential paving is slated for 20th Sideroad, Home Avenue, Nipigon Avenue, Rosedale Avenue, Ruttan Street, Westview Place, Westminster Street, Ward Avenue, and Westbury Crescent.
· Hinton Avenue between McComber Crescent and Whalen Street is scheduled for road reconstruction. Local access only. Some driveway disruption is possible.
· Sidewalk replacement work on the following streets: Secord Avenue, Crescent Avenue, East End subway ramp, and West Francis Street. Sidewalks may be closed during construction. Interruptions to driveway access.
· Final paving and sidewalk work is expected to proceed on the perimeter streets surrounding the new Consolidated Courthouse in the South core. There will be block-to-block closures to traffic and parking as the work continues.
· Please note that businesses in the areas of the construction zones around Victoria Avenue and the Waterfront district BIAs are open for business as work proceeds.
The above list includes major, traffic-affecting construction only. Work, including sidewalk replacements and curb and gutter repairs, is scheduled for residential areas and other areas around the City. The schedule is subject to change.