THUNDER BAY, ON ---- July 15,2011 ---- On July 15th, 1921, Thunder Bay's premier family park was officially opened. Fifeteen days after being named Chippewa Park in honour of the original owners of the land, Fort William Mayor Dennis, his wife and a few friends travelled by water to the park where they enjoyed a picnic and christened the park. During that first visit they were given a tour of the shoreline by the Chairman of the Fort William Board of Parks Management, William Dowler, the founder of the park.
(more on the history of the park can be found at chippewapark.ca)
The Friends of Chippewa Park have organized a celebration of this important milestone this Sunday, July 17 at the park.
A key part of the celebration will be 25 cent merry go round rides all day, along with the music of Roy Coran's Jazz Big Band and the melodrama of Rob McLeod's Capitol Players. There is also a classic car show throughout the day.
At the TbayTel Family Stage (situated lakeside of the pavilion) enjoy live musical entertainment from 2:00-4:00 PM. Merry-Go-Round rides are only 25¢ all day with all other rides regularly priced. Enjoy the Northern Ontario Classic Cruisers 11th Annual Car Show all day.
1:45 PM Official Opening
2:00 PM Roy Coran’s Jazz Big Band
3:00 PM Rob McLeod’s Capital Players & Birthday Cake
3:15 PM Roy Coran’s Jazz Big Band
4:00 PM The Unofficial Chronicles of Ralphie Boschoff Melodrama (Coffee House)
In 1911, the Fort William Board of Park Management first discussed the idea of purchasing land for park purposes. Little did they know how this idea would grow to become Chippewa Park as we know it today. The City of Fort William purchased the land in 1917, and in1921 the Park was officially opened, christened “Chippewa Park” in honour of the Indian Tribe that originally owned the land. The zoo opened in 1923, beginning with only a raccoon and squirrels. Come see for yourself how it has matured along with the rest of the park within the 90 years since its’ founding.